Archangels are chief angels of higher rank or with greater spiritual power than an ordinary angel. Visually, archangels appear similar to their normal kin, though have been seen to wear far more intricate and individualized armor.
Archangels believe in fate, or destiny—the sense that all things are "written" and therefore knowable.
- Auriel, Archangel of Hope
- Imperius, Archangel of Valor
- Itherael, Archangel of Fate
- Malthael, Archangel of Wisdom (became the Angel of Death, killed in the Pandemonium Fortress)
- Tyrael, Archangel of Justice (now the mortal Aspect of Wisdom, stripped of archangel status by the Council)
- Inarius (fallen angel, imprisoned and tortured by Mephisto for all eternity)
- Izual (fallen angel, corrupted by the Prime Evils)