BlizzCon is a Blizzard Entertainment-hosted gaming convention.
The first BlizzCon was held October 28–29, 2005. The Major announcement was the first World of Warcraft expansion pack, The Burning Crusade, as well as the new Horde race, the Blood Elves.
Playable demos of The Burning Crusade and StarCraft: Ghost were also available.
In 2006, Blizzard had neither a BlizzCon nor a Worldwide Invitational, instead they attended the Electronics Entertainment Expo (or E3) and unveiled the new Alliance race for the Burning Crusade expansion pack, the Draenei. This was the last E3 Blizzard attended, and they have since preferred to hold their own events.
The only game that had a playable demo was the Burning Crusade, as StarCraft: Ghost had been "indefinatly postponed" by this time.
On the 12th of April 2007 Blizzard announced that they would be holding a second convention this year. This convention was held on August 3, 2007. Details about the event are limited to what was included in the announcement;
Highlights for this year's BlizzCon included:
- Discussion panels with Blizzard game developers;
- Competitive and casual tournaments, including a World of Warcraft TCG tournament;
- Costume, machinima, and character sound-alike contests with great prizes;
- Live orchestral performances of music from Blizzard games;
- And many more exciting activities.
The major announcement at the convention was the second World of Warcraft expansion pack, The Wrath of the Lich King.
During the convention, the Terran race was revealed, along with aspects of the Terran campaign. A lore discussion and art discussion  were held. Those attending the convention also were able to play skirmished StarCraft II matches, either multiplayer or against a computer, using either the Terran or Protoss races.
On May 12, 2008, Blizzard announced their third Blizzcon event gaming convention, to be held at the Anaheim Convention Center in Anaheim, California on October 10 and 11. In response to the demand to accommodate more attendees, this year's event was expanded from two convention halls to three.
Highlights for this year's Blizzcon included
- Hands-on play time with upcoming Blizzard Entertainment releases
- Discussion panels with Blizzard Entertainment developers
- Competitive and casual tournaments for players to showcase their talents
- Areas and activities devoted to licensed products such as the World of Warcraft® Trading Card Game
- Costume, machinima, and character sound-alike contests with great prizes
- Commemorative merchandise based on the Blizzard Entertainment franchises
- A silent auction
The major announcements at the convention were the Wizard class for Diablo III and the intro cinematic for Wrath of the Lich King.
Playable demos of Wrath of the Lich King, Diablo III, featuring the new Wizard class, as well as the already existing Barbarian and Witch Doctor classes, and StarCraft II.
The Monk was also revealed during this event, along with the third World of Warcraft expansion pack, Cataclysm.
Playable demos of StarCraft II, Cataclysm and Diablo III were also available.
On March 25, 2010, Blizzard announced the fifth BlizzCon was going to be held October 22–23, 2010 at the Anaheim Convention center.
- "Malthael, the Angel of Death, grows restless. Having sieged the historic city of Westmarch, he now sets his sights on a new metropolis: Anaheim, California—the great gamer haven of the West. Soon, his forces will begin their march on the hallowed halls of BlizzCon and only you, mighty Nephalem, can defend its denizens and help put a stop to the coming apocalypse."
"Are you ready?"
At BlizzCon 2013, Diablo III players who purchase a virtual ticket will unlock the Take a Look at Banner achievement, which grants players a new Banner Pattern, Banner Sigil, Banner Shape and Banner Accent. Diablo swag includes a Reaper of Souls chain, a Diablo/Skeleton King/Butcher t-shirt, and a Diablo figure in Blizzard's Cute But Deadly range.
- A look at the creation of the Reaper of Souls intro cinematic.
- A Reaper of Souls preview as the development team reveals more about the game's environments, monsters, game modes, features, and more.
- A lore Q&A for Reaper of Souls.
- A gameplay feature, with special focus on the Crusader class.
- An open Q&A about the console and PC versions of Diablo III.
BlizzCon 2014 will run November 7th to the 8th at the Annaheim Convention Center.
- November 7: A "what's next?" panel for Diablo III, with new features and concepts being discussed (2:15-3:15PM).
- November 8: Evolving Reaper of Souls; includes discussion about upcoming features, and a new Legendary Item will be designed with the community (12:45-1:45PM).
- ↑ Blizzard Entertainment main page. Blizzard Entertainment. Accessed June 21, 2007.
- ↑ 2007-09-13. Gameplay Video - Terran. Blizzard Entertainment. Accessed 2007-09-14.
- ↑ 2007-08-03. StarCraft II Single-Player Campaign BlizzCon Preview. Gamespot. Accessed 2007-08-07.
- ↑ Metzen, Chris; Chambers, Andy; Masterboo. 2007-08-31. BlizzCon 2007 StarCraft Lore Panel Editorial. StarCraft Legacy. Accessed 2007-12-02.
- ↑ 2007-08-03. BlizzCon StarCraft art/graphics panel discussion The Unofficial Starcraft 2 Forums @ IncGamers Accessed 2007-08-07.
- ↑ 2008-12-05, Blizzcon 2008 Announced. Blizzard Entertainment. Accessed on 2008-12-05
- ↑ http://www.blizzard.com/blizzcon/index.xml BlizzCon Index]. Blizzard Entertainment. Accessed on 2009-05-17
- ↑ BlizzCon Events.Blizzard Entertainment. Accessed on 2009-05-17
- ↑ 2013-10-17, Reaper of Souls at BlizzCon® 2013 on PC and PS4
- ↑ September, 2013, BlizzCon 2013 Virtual Ticket Goodies – Diablo III Achievement Available. Blizzplanet, accessed on 2013-09-29
- ↑ 2013-10-18, (Updated) BlizzCon® Store Online Sale Open Now Through November 9. Blizzard Entertainment, accessed on 2013-10-20
- ↑ 2013-10-25, Inside the BlizzCon 2013 Goody Bag. Blizzard Entertainment, accessed on 2013-10-27
- ↑ Friday Schedule, Blizzard Entertainment. Accessed on 2013-10-18
- ↑ Saturday Schedule, Blizzard Entertainment. Accessed on 2013-10-18
- ↑ Event Info - BlizzCon, Blizzard Entertainment. Accessed 2014-05-30.
- ↑ 2014-09-24, BlizzCon 2014 : In-Game Goodies Sneak Peek. Blizzplanet, accessed on 2014-09-30
- ↑ Friday Schedule, Blizzard Entertainment. Accessed on 2014-10-22
- ↑ Saturday Schedule, Blizzard Entertainment. Accessed on 2014-10-22
- 2007-07-05. BlizzCon forum. Battle.net Accessed 2007-07-05.
|Battle.net • Blizzard Entertainment • Blizzard North • BlizzCon • Worldwide Invitational|