Blood, alongside bone, is one of the raw materials of life.
Blood is a bodily fluid possessed by various beings, including humans and demons. Angels have been shown to spill a similar substance at times, usually silver in color (or in the case of Imperius, gold). Use of demonic magic can taint the blood of humans casting it. Attacks from some demons can also taint a human's bloodstream; as the corruption takes hold, the color of the blood will change. Fresh blood is a necessary component in demon summoning. Demon blood contains 'life essence' that allows perception of far distant events.
For most enemy types in all three games of Diablo series, a pool of blood beneath a corpse is a clear indication of the creature being dead (nearly all death animations of monsters having blood involve bleeding). In the second and third game, wounded monsters may leave patches of blood on the ground when seriously damaged.
In-game, human blood is red in color. Animals, especially insects and spiders, may have green or yellow ichor in place of blood, and may possess acidic or venomous blood which can harm humans when touched. Demons possess all colors of blood, including black, brown, green, blue, purple and even white. Some forms of Undead retain blood (it usually becomes darker or turns green), while others do not need it. Elemental beings, which are composed of non-living substances instead of flesh, usually have no blood, but sometimes bleed molten slag, water or mud when injured.
- Blood and bloodlines are common motifs in the Diablo series. For Diablo III, Blizzard developers decided to err towards psychological horror rather than rely excessively on blood and gore, though agreed that had its place.
- ↑ 2016-11-04, Restoring the Balance—Necromancer Overview. Blizzard Entertainment, accessed on 2016-11-07
- ↑ Diablo III, Flesh Gorger Lore
- ↑ Diablo III, Flesh Shaman Lore
- ↑ Diablo III: Wrath
- ↑ Diablo III, Act IV Intro Cinematic
- ↑ Diablo III, Cultist Blood
- ↑ Unyielding
- ↑ Diablo III, Command from Cultist Grand Inquisitor
- ↑ Birthright
- ↑ Rise of the Necromancer, Blizzard Entertainment. Accessed on 2017-06-30
- ↑ 2014-03-06, REAPER OF SOULS™ FIRST LOOK: EXPLORING THE BLOOD MARSH. Blizzard Entertainment, accessed on 2014-06-11
- ↑ Heroes Rise, Darkness Falls