Chests are a common type of container in Diablo III which can be opened for potential treasure. They may be opened by any player by clicking on them like any other object. They may contain items, gems, and/or gold.
There are many different kinds of chests, from simple boxes to ornately decorated varieties, but they all function in the same way, except for the special types listed below.
Resplendent chests are much more rare than normal chests and drop more items than normal chests. They are also guaranteed to contain at least some Rare Items and gems.
They appear as a large chest with a yellow glow. Some spawn randomly in the world, while some spawn guaranteed in certain dungeons.
Radiant chests contain more loot than common chests, but much less than a Resplendent Chest. They typically spawn after clearing Cursed Chests (see below) or Cursed Shrines.
Depending on the exact event, failure to lift the curse may result in the chest being destroyed. In other events, the chest is guaranteed to appear, but success will provide the player with a second chest. Clearing a Cursed Shrine with perfect score (all 5 waves) is guaranteed to summon a Radiant Chest.
Killing any boss that is a bounty target will summon a Diabolic Hoard chest, which is identical to Radiant Chest with raised guaranteed loot thresholds (particularly, drops more Rare Items and gems. It has a much larger size than a Radiant Chest.
Cursed chests will appear as a large chest with a red glimmer. Clicking it will start an event (named Cursed [location]). This often occurs as a bounty. Known cursed event types include:
- Killing a boss (which one depending on Act) in 45 seconds.
- Killing a bunch of normal enemies in 30 seconds.
- Killing an elite pack in 30 seconds.
- Kill at least 100 enemies within 1 minute and then clear the rest.
Some events will only award chest in case of success, while others (most notably 100 enemies), in case of success, will award an extra chest (otherwise, the player who failed to beat the timer will simply need to clear the remaining foes, receiving a single chest as a reward).
Mysterious Chests were added in patch 2.4.1, and may spawn in both Campaign Mode and Adventure Mode instead of any normal chest in a suitable zone (see list below), regardless of difficulty. They have a very low chance to appear (roughly 1%), but if they do, they are guaranteed to contain an aesthetic item (a set of Wings or a Transmogrification weapon), one (same) for each player in the party.
Visually, they look like a normal chest (with the exception of one in Immortal Throne, which looks like a Resplendent Chest).
The item within the chest depends on the zone:
- Immortal Throne: Kanai's Scorn (March only, guaranteed)
- Cathedral Level 2: Templar's Chain
- Zakarum Cathedral: God Butcher
- Drowned Temple: Sungjae's Fury
- Blood Marsh: Crossbow of Corvus
- Eternal Woods: Panther's Claw
- Gardens of Hope Tier 1: Falcon's Wings
- Gardens of Hope Tier 2: Ghoul King's Blade
- The Barracks Level 2: Mace of the Crows (listed as Mysterious Barrel, looks identical to a normal barrel)
- Arreat Crater Level 1: Steffon's Heavy Lance