The unique affix skeleton raise has no internal cooldown and a relatively low chance (and, obviously, is useless against bosses that don't summon minions), but these skeletons do not have timed life, are invulnerable, and deal roughly 100% damage as Physical. They move quite slowly, however, so a fast-moving character may leave them behind easily. The empowered sword lasts approximately 10 seconds, and adds extra damage to every attack, regardless of its Proc Coefficient. Exploding skeletons have very small radius (10 yards at most), but their blasts may overlap, potentially dealing full 5000% damage to a single foe.
The extra damage will not trigger on Damage Over Time attacks (Rend, Locust Swarm, Haunt, Firebats, Piranhado, Energy Twister, etc). For other skills, it happens one time per cast, usually damaging the first enemy hit, or the one closest to the center of area of effect. Proc Coefficient is ignored for this purpose.
It is also one of the few items with bonus damage against undead.
The Corrupted Ashbringer is one of the rarest items in the entirety of the game for balancing reasons (both normal drop rate and even success rate of transmuting it using Kanai's Cube). Also, its Legendary affix may not be extracted via Archive of Tal Rasha transmutation.
Stats (Level 70)Edit
Legendary Two-Handed Sword
- 3120.0–3488.0 Damage Per Second
- (2314–2576)–(3112–3490) Damage
- 1.15 Attacks per Second
- +(1177–1439)–(1410–1788) Poison Damage
- +9–15% Damage to Undead
- +9142–13371 Life after Each Kill
- Chance on kill to raise a skeleton to fight for you. Upon accumulating 5 skeletons, they each explode for 1000% damage as Holy and the sword transforms into Ashbringer for a short time. Attacking with Ashbringer burns your enemy for 5000–6000% damage as Holy.
- One of 3 Magic Properties (varies):
- +2 Random Magic Properties
Stories tell of a great paladin who wore a single gauntlet of silver and wielded a mighty sword with a flashing jewel. He dispatched thousands of Risen Dead and Wretched Mothers, but fell to a tragic end. This sword bears some resemblance to the legends, but its jewel is dark and threatening. Perhaps there is more to the story?