The Crusader King is a Rift Guardian, a greatly empowered variant of Skeleton King. He can only be encountered as a random boss in a Nephalem Rift.
In combat, he gains greatly increased damage for his melee blows, as well as following abilities:
- Jailer affix (with greatly increased damage and reduced cooldown.
- Arcane Nova: releases a 360 degrees volley of missiles dealing Arcane damage on impact, nearly unavoidable in close combat.
- Bash Attack: The King swipes at the player with his mace.
- Teleport Attack: A ghostly apparition of the King moves towards a targeted player. Afterwards, the King teleports to where the ghost is, swinging his mace for a high damage attack.
- Summon Skeletons: six Skeletal minions are summoned, surrounding the player. This ability is used twice before it is set on cooldown. Before the first cast, the Crusader King will also teleport backwards. If he is not stopped by any means of stunning, he will get out of melee range. Unlike the canon appearance, this ability will summon all types of skeletons: Archers, Warriors, Shieldmen and Executioners in a random combination, landing them on top of the targeted player.
- Spinning Strike: The King laughs and spins in three consecutive circles, doing moderate damage. The first hit deals very high damage, but the subsequent hits are less powerful.
The fight is basically identical to the normal Skeleton King encounter.