"A dark coven has formed in Tristram and I fear that their superstitious violence may damn the whole region. I discovered very little during my eavesdropping--except that the word "Maghda" was repeated several times in their chants. Oh well, now I journey to the safety of my home, where I may put these worries behind me."
Dark Cultists are humans attacking with sacrificial daggers. They are very weak, but usually attack in large numbers, and often are supported by demons.
See the respective article: Cultists can be recognized from Dark Vessels by their lack of a staff. Vessels have a long staff which curls at the end, on which they lean while summoning up the demons by which they are possessed. In few seconds after combat starts, they turn into Dark Thralls.
Conjurers are human mages, usually not attacking the hero (unless he comes really close), but holding the dark portal opened, therefore summoning Dark Hellions or Dark Berserkers every few seconds. Once all Conjurers are dead, the portal is closed. If approached, they can shoot fireballs for average Fire damage. It's wise to bypass the hulking Berserkers to kill the Cultists as quickly as possible. Some Conjurers are initially not channeling a portal, in that case, they attack at once.
Summoners are the more powerful variant of Conjurers. They do not need a portal to summon reinforcements, instead being able to summon one Hellion at a time and enhance its damage by controlling it with a beam of dark energy.
Zealots are the more powerful variant of regular Cultists, moving and attacking much faster.
- Brakan (Apothecary's Brother event)
- Cadhul the Deathcaller (Southern Highlands)
- Crassus the Tormentor (Halls of Agony)
- Grand Inquisitor (Halls of Agony)
- High Cultist Murdos (Alcarnus)
- Jhorum the Cleric (Alcarnus)
- Jezeb the Conjuror (Leoric's Manor)
- Krailen the Wicked (Leoric's Manor)
- Lord of Goats (Southern Highlands)
- Percepeus (Northern Highlads)
- Pontius (Westmarch Commons)
- Sarella the Vile (Leoric's Manor Courtyard)
- Shondar the Invoker (Alcarnus)
- Theodyn the Deathsinger (Leoric's Hunting Grounds)
- Urik the Seer (Khazra Den)
Culists of Zealot type have horns (visible from beneath their hoods), although it's unclear if those are parts of their bodies or elements of their headdresses.