Death's Breath is a Unique crafting material in Diablo III, obtained by killing elite enemies (including bosses and Treasure Goblins, but not Greater Rift Guardians). They can be stacked up to a maximum of 5000. Death's Breath is account bound. It is used in enchanting, Kanai's Cube transmutations, and crafting high level gems. Death's Breath is also required to train artisans beyond level 10.As of patch 2.4, it has a unique color when on the ground or in the inventory to easily see it among other loot when it drops. Teal smoke also rises from it while on the ground for better visibility.
It has a chance to drop from all Elites, with the normal crafting reagent rate for that difficulty:
- Normal - 15%
- Hard - 18%
- Expert - 21%
- Master - 25%
- Torment I - 31%
- Torment II - 37%
- Torment III - 44%
- Torment IV - 53%
- Torment V - 64%
- Torment VI - 77%
- Torment VII - 90%
- Torment VIII - 100% and 15% chance to gain an extra one
- Torment IX - 100% and 25% chance to gain an extra one
- Torment X - 100% and 50% chance to gain an extra one
- Torment XI - 100% and 75% chance to gain an extra one
- Torment XII - 100% to drop two
- Torment XIII - 100% to drop two and 25% chance to gain an extra one
Sage's Journey set bonus increases the amount of DB obtained by 1 per pack (if any drops at all).
Overall, this reagent can be efficiently farmed on Torment difficulty, as nearly every elite monster pack awards one. Excess of materials can be put to certain Kanai's Cube recipes, for which this material is most likely to be in deficit.