- "No one can stop Death."
- – Malthael
|Diablo III: Reaper of Souls|
|Released||March 25, 2014|
|Genre(s)||Action role-playing game, hack and slash|
|Mode(s)||Singleplayer (Internet connection required), Multiplayer|
|Platform(s)||Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, Playstation 4|
|Media||DVD, Digital download|
|Input methods||Keyboard, mouse|
Diablo III: Reaper of Souls is the first expansion to Diablo III.
It was announced at Gamescom, August 21st 2013, and continues the story from Diablo III after a brief period of peace.
The game will have two versions—a standard edition for $40, and a collector's edition for $50. The latter version includes exclusive in-game content and bonus items. The game will also have a console release.
New features include:
- New class: The Crusader. Inspired by the Paladin from Diablo II, the Crusader is a Holy Warrior that fights in melee to medium range.
- New act: A fifth chapter in the Diablo III storyline will be added, taking place mainly in Westmarch.
- New antagonist: Malthael, formerly the Archangel of Wisdom, returns as the Angel of Death.
- Raised level cap and unlimited Paragon Levels: Level up to level 70 and keep leveling with the removal of the cap of Paragon levels. Paragon levels are also account wide, and give special points to distribute among your characters stats as you see fit
- Loot 2.0: Lower amount of drops, but drops are more frequently usable for your class.
- Different end-game: Introducing Nephalem Rifts, a 15-20 min random dungeon to clear for loot.
- Followers: No new followers will be introduced to the game, but existing followers will gain extra background and side-quests.
- New skills for existing classes.
- Artisans: Transmogrification: The Mystic artisan returns with her transmogrification services. Like Followers, Artisans will likewise have their backstories expanded.
- Adventure Mode: A mode where the world itself is the player's battlefield.Bounty quests are also available for the nephalem to undertake, with a reward for finishing all the bounties in each Act.
- Difficulties: The game's difficulties have been revised to Normal, Hard, Expert, Master, and Torment.
Some of these features, most notably the Paragon changes and Loot 2.0, will be added pre-emptively to Diablo III via a pre-expansion patch. Blizzard sent out surveys to registered Diablo III users for them to rate which new features are most important to them. Players who don't install Reaper of Souls will be able to play with those who have installed it, but won't be able to access Act V.
Visually, Blizzard intends Reaper of Souls to have a more gothic feel than Diablo III did.
Reaper of Souls will have a digital deluxe edition and retail-exclusive collector's edition. The digital deluxe edition will have the following bonuses:
- Exclusive helm and weapon-transmogrification recipes for players to distinguish their characters among the champions of Sanctuary.
- A Spectral Hound minion players can summon to keep their adventurers company.
- Three additional character slots to accommodate new heroes.
- A World of Warcraft in-game companion, the Treasure Goblin, ready to compete in pet battles.
- A set of StarCraft II Crusader-themed portraits and Malthael-themed decals.
The collector's edition features the bonus items from the digital deluxe edition, along with a hardcover artbook, a behind the scenes Blu-ray/DVD, and a Malthael-themed mousepad.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 2013-12-19, PREORDER REAPER OF SOULS™ TODAY AND FACE DEATH ON MARCH 25. Blizzard Entertainment, accessed on 2013-12-20
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2013-10-09, Blizzard surveys Diablo 3 gamers on expansion pricing, collector's edition. Polygon, accessed on 2013-10-10
- ↑ 2013-10-17, Reaper of Souls at BlizzCon® 2013 on PC and PS4. Blizzard ENtertainment, accessed on 2013-10-21
- ↑ 2013-08-25, GamesCom 2013 interview – Josh Mosqueira talks about Diablo III: Reaper of Souls, Return of Pandemonium Fortress & Necromancers. Blizzplanet, accessed on 2013-09-06
- ↑ 2013-12-05, BlizzCon 2013 – Diablo III: Gameplay Systems + Crusader Panel Transcript. Blizzplanet, accessed on 2014-02-21
- ↑ 2013-09-05, Community Commentary: Project Nephalem. Blizzard Entertainment, accessed on 2013-09-08
- ↑ 2013-09-24, Resolution for Covetous Shen?. Blizzard Entertainment, accessed on 2013-09-24
- ↑ 2013-10-21, Reaper of Souls at BlizzCon® 2013 on PC and PS4. Blizzard Entertainment, accessed on 2013-10-21
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 2013-11-09, BlizzCon 2013 – Diablo III: Reaper of Souls – FAQ. Blizzplanet, accessed on 2013-12-20
- ↑ 2013-10-08, Any idea on when we are gonna see Loot2.0?. Blizzard Entertainment, accessed on 2013-10-08
- ↑ 2013-10-18, RoS to opt a more "gothic" feel. Blizzard Entertainment, accessed on 2013-10-21
| Core Series — Diablo • Diablo II • Lord of Destruction • Diablo III • Reaper of Souls|
Tabletop RPG — The Awakening • Diablerie • To Hell and Back • The Bloodstone Tomb
Other — Unearthed Arsenal • Hellfire • Salvation • Diablo Junior