Frenzy Barbarian is one of the main and best known builds for the Barbarian Class. These warriors utilize two weapons at once and swing them with much power. Specializing in Frenzy means dual-wielding weapons, attacking and moving really quickly, and doing heavy damage to every enemy within arm's reach.
Advantages and DisadvantagesEdit
- Works like the Paladin's Zeal in how it attacks multiple enemies.
- Potentially a lot of damage can be dealt.
- Movement, damage and attack speed increase with every swing.
- Duelling isn't very easy.
- Can not hit as many nearby enemies as, say, the Whirlwind Barb.
- Such a fast movement speed is hard to control.
- No natural counter for Physical Immunes. A point in Berserk however will counter this problem quite effectively.
Stat Point DistributionEdit
Strength: Enough to wear endgame gear. Calculate this amount ahead of time.
Dexterity: Enough to equip gear.
Vitality: Pretty much everything else.
Skill Point DistributionEdit
Considerations for a twenty point allocation of skill points
Frenzy(20): Main skill
Double Swing(20): Synergy to Frenzy.
Battle Orders (10+): Increases life, mana and stamina for anyone friendly to the barbarian. There is an unwritten rule that twenty points must be allocated in this skill solely for the benefit of others. The player should feel free to break this rule, as only a 3% increase per level and some increased duration is all a barbarian will get.
Berserk (1+): Although this is a synergy skill for Frenzy, many put one point if at all. Handy versus physical immune and damage return skills such as Thorns or Iron Maiden as damage is entirely magic. Although 20% magic damage might be useful, the build is quite a tight one skill-wise.
Shout (1+): Increases defense rating of friendly party members. It is suggested to put twenty points in this solely for the benefit of others. The player should feel free to break this rule, as a successful character will have to depend on more than boosted defense to be successful.
Battle Cry(1): Drops an opponent's base defense rating by 50%. Useful in situations where a monster seems difficult to hit. Can be removed with some other curse or a magic well.
Increased Stamina (1): Usually one point is allocated to gain access to Increased Speed.
Increased Speed (1+): This is entirely optional, but whole-heartedly useful.
Natural Resistance (1+): More resistance, less damage. Has diminishing returns, so 1-3 points should be adequate.
Iron Skin (1+): See Shout.
Battle Command (1): Raises the party's skill levels by one.
- Breath of the Dying: Highest enhanced damage in the game, most popularly used with an ethereal Berserker Axe.
- Beast: High attack speed, Fanaticism aura, crushing blow and open wounds modifiers.
- Doom: Skill boost, cold damage, Holy Freeze aura, deadly strike and open wounds modifiers.
- Fury: Boost to Frenzy, open wounds and deadly strike.
- Stormlash: Crushing Blow, Static Field proc.
- Eternity: Best choice for a barbarian specialized in using maces like Scourge.
Pick one of the above, although it is not recommended use the same weapon as the properties, particularly the auras on many of these weapons would be redundant.
- Fortitude: 300% Enhanced Damage
- Chains of Honor: +2 to all skills and varying damage bonuses.
- Enigma: +2 to all skills, Teleport and level-dependent magic find.
- Arreat's Face: the helmet of choice due to its faster hit recovery, resistance and skill bonuses.
- Guillaume's Face: The boost to crushing blow and deadly strike makes this helmet an alternative.
- Steelrend: Enhanced damage and crushing blow
- Soul Drainer: Dual leech and reduces monster defense per hit.
- Dracul's Grasp: Life leech, open wounds, strength bonus and Life Tap.
- Laying of Hands: Massive enhanced damage versus demons and fire resist.
- Marrowwalk: These boots have Life Tap charges. Useful if the character is missing Dracul's Grasp or Last Wish.
- Thundergod's Vigor: Lightning absorb, vitality and strength bonus
- Mara's Kaleidoscope: +2 skill bonus and boost to all resistances.
- Bul-Kathos' Wedding Band: +1 to all skills and life-related bonuses.
- Raven Frost: If the player has no other sources of the Cannot be Frozen attribute, this item will be a necessity.
The 'Fine Small Charms of Vitality' yield +20 attack rating, +20 life and +3 to maximum damage. Other great charms are Hellfire Torch, Annihilus, +1 to Warcries Grand Charms or +1 to Masteries. Additional charms with +life will also do. Combat Charms, although attractive looking, add only 7% Attack Rating and 3% extra damage, so one could trade those to a build that would benefit more from them. Resistance charms can also be a consideration.
Tips and TricksEdit
- Watch for Physical Immunes.
- Stack your Crushing Blow, Critical Strike and Open Wound mods.
- Life steal will make Frenzy Barbs more resilient. Dracul’s Grasp and Last Wish are popular for their Life Tap proc.
- If you can get more attack rating without sacrificing other more essential stats, never shy from doing so.
Player vs. PlayerEdit
Dueling is difficult as a Frenzy Barb because you have to get close to your enemy and physically attack them first, one swing at a time. The only way that is notably simple to duel as a frenzy barb is to frenzy on monsters in the wilderness ahead of time to build up damage and attack speed.
Enjoy your Frenzy Barbarian!
|Popular Barbarian builds|
|Whirlwind Barb • Frenzy Barb • Concentrator • Berserker • Dragoon • Singer • Immortal King Barbarian • Executioner • Horker|