- "The Silver City, the Crystal Arch, the Diamond Gates. I can scarcely imagine what it must be like to behold these magnificent structures in person, or how it might feel to cross bridges of light, or bask in the glory of cascading fountains of music and harmony. After all, how could I, a mere mortal, ever hope to comprehend such splendor?"
The concept of Heaven has been romanticized by humanity over the ages, yet prior to Diablo's final assault on the realm, no mortal had ever set foot in the realm. But through observation, both direct and indirect, Heaven is a realm of clouds and light that seems to enjoy a perpetual dawn, stretching into infinity. However, despite these clouds, it never rains.
As the Burning Hells were spawned from Tathamet, Heaven came from Anu. After the final battle between the two deities and the birth of Creation, his spine spun out into the primordial darkness, where it slowed and cooled. Over countless ages it formed into the Crystal Arch, around which the Heavens took shape and form. And thus, as the Hells gave rise to demonkind, so too did the Arch give birth to angels. Two races who would war against one another for aeons in the Great Conflict. Heaven was besieged many times, yet over the conflict's history, no force ever succeeded in breaching the Diamond Gates and gaining access to the Silver City.
And the Heavens Shall TrembleEdit
- "Take one last look at your shining Heaven, Imperius. For soon, nothing of it shall remain but my laughter."
Heaven's apparently impregnability came to an end at the hands of Diablo, the Lord of Terror having become a singular Prime Evil. The Diamond Gates were breached and for the first time in history, demons stepped foot inside the Silver City. All hope seemed lost, and Diablo managed to reach the Crystal Arch itself. However, a group of nephalem heroes were able to slay Diablo and prevent the Arch from becoming corrupted. As the arch shone once more, Diablo's corruption was cleansed from the realm. For a moment, it looked like both Heaven and the mortal realm could face a new dawn. Together.
It was a moment that did not last. Heaven continued to 'heal' after Diablo's assault, but the Black Soulstone remained in the realm. After being recovered, it was guarded in the Silver City. However, its corruptive influence remained, and discord began to seep back into Heaven. Despite Tyrael's protests, Imperius and the other Council members refused to move the artifact.
During development of Diablo III (which was originally carried out by Blizzard North), it was also intended that the game take place in Heaven. It featured a drawn out conflict between Heaven and Hell that players would interact with, in a situation similar to the Alliance vs. Horde paradigm from Blizzard's Warcraft series. After Blizzard North's version was canceled in 2005, and Blizzard Entertainment rebooted the project, Heaven remained in the game, but with an apparent artistic overhaul.
While Hell is divided into several realms whose borders constantly shift, the locations of Heaven remain static. Much of Heaven is concentrated within the Silver City, including its five notable domains (one for each member of the Angiris Council). Otherwise, the land outside the city is quite empty. At the borders of Heaven are portals that lead to other realms.
- Courts of Justice (domain of Tyrael)
- Gardens of Hope (domain of Auriel)
- Halls of Valor (domain of Imperius)
- Pools of Wisdom (domain of Malthael)
- Library of Fate (domain of Itherael)
Other Silver City LocationsEdit
- Blessed Chancel
- Diamond Gates (entrance to the city, destroyed)
- Girth's Ascent
- Holy Sanctum
- Radiant Chapel
- Silver Spire
- Crystal Arch (the center of Heaven)
- Tabernacle of Light
- The Crystal Colonnade
- Vestibule of Light
The following are areas that exist outside the Silver City, but are still part of Heaven. This includes temporary fortifications of the Demonic Legion
- Angelic Lands (cut content)
- Nod (likely demonic forward base)
- Phoenix Lands
- Worm Bridges (used by the Demonic Legion)
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Book of Cain
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Diablo III, Act IV
- ↑ Diablo III, Act IV Intro Cinematic
- ↑ Diablo III, Act IV Ending Cinematic
- ↑ 2013-09-11, Diablo III: Storm of Light — Coming in 2014. Blizzard Entertainment, accessed on 2013-09-12
- ↑ 2006-02-03, Rumor: Diablo III On the Way? You Better Believe It!. Gaming Steve, accessed on 2013-09-12
- ↑ 2011-02-16, The First Screenshots from Blizzard North’s version of Diablo III. IncGamers, accessed on 2013-09-12
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 The Art of Diablo III
|Locations in the Diablo universe|
| Burning Hells • High Heavens • Mbwiru Eikura • Pandemonium • Void|
Sanctuary — Aranoch • Dreadlands • Entsteig • Ivgorod • Kehjistan • Khanduras • Scosglen • Skovos Isles • Torajan Jungles • Westmarch • Wojahn • Xiansai
Related — Towns