Legendary Gems are gems introduced in patch 2.1 of Diablo III. Each Legendary Gem has two unique powers. One is unlocked upon dropping, and can be strengthened by upgrading; the second is a fixed bonus that is unlocked when the gem is upgraded to Rank 25.
Except for two gems, they can only be socketed into Amulets and Rings (the Gem of Ease can only be socketed into a weapon, while the Red Soul Shard can only be socketed into a Helm). Like all gems, Legendary Gems are account bound; they are also unique equipped.
Legendary Gems only drop from Rift Guardians in Greater Rifts (except for Boon of the Hoarder and the Red Soul Shard, which drops only from Greed in the Treasure Realm, and killing the Dark Lord in the Darkening of Tristram event respectively). As a rule, a Rift Guardian will drop a randomly-selected gem if and only if a character does not already have access to all Legendary Gems, where access means that the gem is: (1) equipped by the character, (2) in the character's inventory (socketed or not), or (3) in the shared stash (socketed or not). Gems equipped by or in the inventory of another character do not count. Only gems for which the character does not have access can drop.
Gems will only drop at character level 70, but have no level requirement and can be used by any character on that account. Legendary Gems can be equipped by a follower, but have no effect.
- Bane of the Powerful:
- Bane of the Stricken:
- Bane of the Trapped:
- Boon of the Hoarder:
- Boyarsky's Chip:
- Increase the damage of your pets by 15%.
- Upgrading increases pet damage by 0.3%.
- Rank 25 bonus: Your pets take 90% reduced damage.
- Esoteric Alteration:
- Gem of Ease:
- Gem of Efficacious Toxin:
- Poison all enemies hit for 2000% damage as Poison over 10 seconds.
- Upgrading increases damage by 50%.
- Rank 25 bonus: All enemies you poison take 10% increased damage from all sources and deal 10% less damage with all attacks.
- Gogok of Swiftness:
- All Cold skills always Chill enemies, slowing them by 60% for 1 second (unless already better), and slowdown potency of all Chill effects increases by 5% (up to 80%).
- Upgrading increases speed reduction by 0.4%. (Maximum Rank is 50.)
- Rank 25 bonus: gain additional 10% Critical Hit Chance against Chilled or Frozen enemies.
- Invigorating Gemstone:
- Mirinae, Teardrop of the Starweaver:
- Molten Wildebeest's Gizzard:
- 35% of all damage taken is instead staggered and dealt to you over 3.0 seconds.
- Upgrading increases duration by 0.1 seconds.
- Rank 25 bonus: 20% chance on kill to clear all staggered damage.
- Mutilation Guard:
- Pain Enhancer:
- Red Soul Shard (Anniversary Dungeon only)
- Periodically struggle for control, unleashing a ring of fire that deals 12500% damage as Fire to enemies it passes through.
- Upgrading increases damage by 50%.
- Rank 25 bonus: After gaining a Character Level or Paragon Level, the character has their resource costs and cooldowns of all skills reduced by 75% for 30 seconds.
- Simplicity's Strength:
- Increases the damage of Primary skills by 25%.
- Upgrading increases damage bonus by 0.5%.
- Rank 25 bonus: Primary skills heal you for 4% of maximum Life if they hit an enemy.
- Gain 2.00% increased damage for 1.5 seconds for each tick of a channeled skill. This effect stacks up to 10 times. Gaining a stack refreshes all existing stacks.
- Upgrading increases damage bonus by 0.04% per stack.
- Rank 25 bonus: Gain 2% increased armor for every stack.
- Wreath of Lightning:
- Zei's Stone of Vengeance:
- Damage enemies suffer increases by 4% for every 10 yards between you and the enemy hit (max 20% at 50 yards).
- Upgrading increases damage bonus by 0.08% (also increasing the maximum bonus by 0.4%).
- Rank 25 bonus: 20% chance on hit to Stun the enemy for 1 second.
- Shen's Delight:
Urshi will offer the chance to upgrade Legendary Gems if the Rift Guardian is defeated in time. The blue property on the gem is the only property that will be upgraded. After a successful Rift, Urshi will always offer three upgrade chances for free; as of patch 2.4.3, an additional chance is offered if the character did not die during the Rift (Hardcore characters will always get this extra attempt). Furthermore, one can pay gold to Empower the rift; an empowered rift, if cleared, grants one more chance, so the maximum number of upgrade chances is five.
The upgrade success rate is determined by taking the Greater Rift Tier and subtracting the Legendary Gem Rank. The difference determines the success rate as follows:
- +10 or higher: 100% chance
- +9: 90% chance
- +8: 80% chance
- +7: 70% chance
- 0 to +6: 60% chance
- –1: 30% chance
- –2: 15% chance
- –3: 8% chance
- –4: 4% chance
- –5: 2% chance
- –6: 1% chance
- –7 or lower: 0% chance
In other words, to have any chance of unlocking the rank 25 bonus, the player must clear a Rift of at least Tier 18.
A few gems have a limit; when that limit is reached, Urshi will stop offering the chance to upgrade that gem. The remaining gems have no stated cap, but it is difficult to level most gems much beyond Rank 100.
The Caldesann's Despair recipe in Kanai's Cube consumes a Legendary Gem to imbue an Ancient or Primal Ancient Legendary item with an additional main attribute (Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence, or Vitality).