The city is very large, with good defenses, including well-built structures and a well-trained army.
|Quest(s)||Radament's Lair, The Horadric Staff, Tainted Sun, The Arcane Sanctuary, The Summoner, The Seven Tombs|
|NPC(s)||Jerhyn, Deckard Cain, Atma, Lysander, Greiz, Fara, Elzix, Meshif, Geglash, Kaelan|
|Adjacent Zone(s)||Rocky Waste, Harem|
The city is tormented by Radament: a mummified Horadric mage possessed by a demon, who is hiding in the sewers below. The player is also required to find the key pieces (Horadric Cube and the two pieces of the Horadric Staff) to unlock Tal Rasha's tomb where Baal is imprisoned. The Summoner takes control of the Arcane Sanctuary, releasing demons into the Palace and threatening the city.
The townsfolk of Lut Gholein offer various services, these being:
- Atma - the Tavern keeper (Healing)
- Deckard Cain - Horadrim sage (Identify Items)
- Drognan - the Vizjerei mage (Trade services for spellcasters)
- Elzix - Innkeeper of the Desert Rain Inn (Trade and Gambling services)
- Fara - Blacksmith and Paladin of Zakarum (Healing and Repairing, Trade services)
- Geglash - Drunkard
- Greiz - Mercenary captain (Hires/Resurrects Mercenaries)
- Jerhyn - The Sultan and Lord of Lut Gholein
- Kaelan - Palace guard
- Lysander - the deaf Alchemist (Potion vendor)
- Meshif - Trade captain (Sail East - provides passage to the Kurast Docks in Act III)
- Warriv - Caravan trader (Go West - returns the player to the Rogue Encampment in Act I)
There are six quests in Lut Gholein:
The following waypoints can be found and used (after activation) in Act II:
- Lut Gholein
- Sewers (level 2)
- Dry Hills
- Halls of the Dead (level 2)
- Far Oasis
- Lost City
- The Palace Cellar (level 1)
- Arcane Sanctuary
- Canyon of the Magi
Points of InterestEdit
There are various buildings throughout the city, yet none of them can be entered.
If you explore Atma's tavern, you can find your way into the kitchen, though there is nothing to interact with in there.
Jerhyn's Palace has a small balcony - to the left of the stairs leading down into the Harem.
- Lut Gholein has distinctive features of Arabian culture. This is in contrast to the rest of Aranoch, which appears to use Ancient Egypt as its real-world inspiration.
- "Lut" is a Persian word which translates as "emptiness." The real world desert, Dasht-e Lut, uses this word.
|Towns in the Diablo series|
| Dreadlands—Bastion's Keep • Harrogath • Sescheron • Staalbreak|
Kehjistan—Alcarnus • Caldeum • Gea Kul • Hashir • Kehjan • Kurast • Toraja • Tulisam • Viz-jun
|Act II Zones (Diablo II)|
|Lut Gholein • Sewers • Rocky Waste • The Stony Tomb • Dry Hills • Halls of the Dead • Far Oasis • Maggot Lair • Lost City • Ancient Tunnels • Valley of Snakes • Claw Viper Temple • Harem • The Palace Cellar • Arcane Sanctuary • Canyon of the Magi • Tal Rasha's Tomb • Tal Rasha's Chamber|