Magic Find is the common term for items that possess the "% Better Chance Of Getting Magic Items" (Diablo II) or "% Better Chance of Finding Magical Items" (Diablo III). It is a magical effect that increases the likelihood that a magic, rare, set, or unique item will drop. Before high magic find penalties, it will scale up the chance for an enemy to drop a magical item linearly based on their drop rate. Magic Find is added across all items for your character.
If you find an item that gives 20% Better Chance of Getting a Magic Item, and a Monster has a 2% chance to drop a Magic Item, you will now have 2.4% Chance of getting that Magic Item.
0% Magic Find Pelta Lunata 0.1487448% (regular drop rate)
10% Magic Find Pelta Lunata 0.1636105% (10% bonus)
100% Magic Find Pelta Lunata 0.2543374% (71% bonus)
Note that this is based upon the monsters chance to drop an item. With a 100% better chance of getting a magic item, a monster with a 1% chance of dropping a magical item would have that random chance go up to 2%. So having 100% Magic Find does not guarantee a Unique/Rare/Set drops.
Magic Find can provide a significant increase in the number of Unique, Rare, and Set Items you find. Players that wish to find "good" Rare Items, and more Set and Unique Items will want to invest heavy in this magical bonus. Just remember, you can never have enough % Magic Find. Increasing your Magic Find Percentage will always help you.
- "% Better Chance of Getting Magic Item" does not increase the Chances of getting an Exceptional Item but if you do roll an Exceptional Item the chance of that being Magical/Rare will increase.
- There is no cap on Magic Find. This means that the more you can get, the better is gets. As listed below, the maximum amount a character can obtain is around 1167%.
- Magic Find works on Barrels, Chests, or any other Container that drops items.
- Magic Find works on Act Bosses.
- Magic Find does not influence the drop rate or item level of Runes you come across.
- Magic Find also increases the chance of finding Magic Items with the Barbarian's Find Item Skill.
- Magic Find does not increase the chance of obtaining better magic items through Gambling.
- Magic Find also works in conjunction with Hirelings. When you make a kill, you get the Magic Find % of yourself only. When a Hireling gets a kill, it uses the combined Magic Find of the Hireling and you.
- Magic Find works different when in a party. The chance to get a Magic Item will be determined on the player that makes the killing blow on the monster. If the party has several items that give a Better Chance of Getting Magic Item, they are not added together, whichever party member makes the killing blow will determine the chance of getting a Magic Item. For the best results, have the player in the party that has the best Chance of Getting a Magic Item finish off all the monsters.
- While there is no cap on Magic Find there is a diminishing return formula (that is not available) that becomes active over 10% Magic Find for Rare, Set, and Unique Items (But Not Regular Violet (Blue) Magic Items). This does not mean that it's useless to get over 10% but it does mean that the benefits drop off as you get higher and higher Magic Find. The most Magic Find is still better than less Magic Find.
Maxing Magic Find
A common comment is with a lot of Magic Find you'll not be able to kill anything. Some classes such as spell casters (Sorceress, Necromancer, Elemental Druid) are more capable of sacrificing all equipment for Magic Find. You may wish to create "Magic Find Characters" to "farm" or find items then use those items on other characters. Still, melee classes (the Barbarian in particular due to the Find Item skill) can be very successful at treasure hunting.
Here's how to get the most (1167%) out of Magic Find for yourself. This does not count the maximum possible with Hirelings but you only receive that bonus when Hirelings make a kill. Add Magic Find to Hirelings to increase Magic Find even more. Some items are pretty rare making it difficult but not impossible (especially with time and trading) to obtain the most Magic Find. Alternative "poor man" items are suggested.
Helm (110%) 110% Artisan's/Jeweler's Tiara/Diadem of Luck (35% + socketed with Three Ist Runes for 75%). You can add sockets via a quest or Hordric Cube recipe. or 90% Rare Circlet with 2 Sockets (40% + socketed with Two Ist Runes for 50%) or 90% Set Avenger Guard: Immortal King's Will (Barbarian Only) (40% Socketed with Two 24% Perfect Topazes or Two 25% Ist Runes) or 80% Set Corona: Griswold's Valor (30%) Socketed with Two 24% Perfect Topazes or Two 25% Ist Runes or 74-75% Harlequin Crest (50% + Socketed with One 24% Perfect Topaz or a 25% Ist Rune) or 74-75% Tarnhelm (Perfect 50% Tarnhelm + Socketed with One 24% Perfect Topaz or 25% Ist Rune) or 74-75% Stealskull (Perfect 50% Stealskull + Socketed with One 24% Perfect Topaz or 25% Ist Rune) or 72% 3 Socketed Helm with 3 Perfect Topazes.
Armor (148%) 148% Skullder's Ire (1.25-123% + Socketed with 24% Perfect Topaz or 25% Ist Rune) or 112-113% Tal Rasha's Guardianship (88% + Socketed with 24% Perfect Topaz or 25% Ist Rune) or 100% Wealth Rune Word Armor or 1-99% Enigma Rune Word Armor or 96% 4 Socketed Armor with 4 Perfect Topazes.
Weapon 1 (180%) 180% 6 Socketed Weapon with 6 Ist Runes (180%, very hard to do based on Rune Availability) or 159% Unique Sword: Blade of Ali Baba 99% with 2 30% Ist Runes Socketed or 117-130% Unique Dagger: Gull (100% + Socketed with 5-17% Magic Find Jewel or 30% Ist Rune) or 6 Socketed Weapon with Several Magic Find Jewels (30-102%, somewhat hard to do based on Jewel Availability)
Weapon 2 (180%)(Barbarians/Assassins) 180% 6 Socketed Weapon with 6 Ist Runes (180%, very hard to do based on Rune Availability) or 159% Unique Sword: Blade of Ali Baba 99% with 2 30% Ist Runes Socketed or 117-130% Unique Dagger: Gull (100% + Socketed with 5-17% Magic Find Jewel or 30% Ist Rune) or 6 Socketed Weapon with Several Magic Find Jewels (30-102%, somewhat hard to do based on Jewel Availability) :Note: Assassins could use a 3 socket claw with 3 30% Ist Runes.
Shield (100%) 4 Socket Shield with 4 Ist Runes (100%, very hard to do) or 3 Socket Shield with 3 Ist Runes (75%, very hard to do) or 3 or 4 Socket Shield with 3-4 Jewels of 5-17% Magic Find (15-68%) or Moser's Blessed Circle with 2 Ist Runes (50%) or Milabrega's Orb socketed with an Ist Rune (45%) or Rhyme Rune Word Shield (25%) or Splendor Rune Word Shield (20%) or Dream Rune Word Shield (12-25%) or Exile Rune Word Shield (25%) (Paladin Only)
Belts (30%) 30% Unique Goldwrap Heavy Belt or 15% Tal Rasha's Fine-Spun Cloth - Combined with Tal Rasha's Adjudication (Amulet) and Tal Rasha's Guardianship (Armor) you'll receive +65% Magic Find which will be equal or greater than a 48% Amulet and 30% Goldwrap. An alternative is the 100% Wealth Rune Word, 30% Goldwrap and 48% Amulet.
Boots (50%) 50% War Traveler (Unique Battle Boots) or Magic Boots of Luck (35%) or 34% Magic Find Rare Boots (can only be found by trading for Pre 1.08 Patch boots)
Gloves (40%) 40% Unique Chain Gloves: Chance Guards or Rare 34% Magic Find Gloves (can only be found by trading for Pre 1.08 Patch Gloves) or 25% Magic/Rare Gloves
Amulets (50%) 50% Magic Fortuitous Amulet of Luck or 48% Rare Amulet (only found by trading for Amulets before 1.08 Patch) or 35% Rare Amulet
Rings (80%) (2) 40% Magic Fortuitous Rings of Fortune or (2) 30% Nagelrings or (2) 32% Magic Find Rare Rings (Only found Trading for items before 1.08 Patch) or (2) 25% Magic Find Rare Rings
Charms (299%) 1 perfect Gheed's Fortune Grand Charm (%40) and 7% Small Charms (37 of them at 7% = 259%, you would have to drop Charms to pick up items) which is equal to %299. 27 7% Charms is ideal. This leaves room for a 3x2 item and the Horadric Cube. You can place your keys and Tomes in the Horadric Cube then move them out into the open space to use them. This can be frustrating to do and is only recommended for extreme players.
- (Before Patch 1.0.4) Magic Find works different when in a party. The chance to get a magic item is averaged among all party members. So if there are 2 people in a party and one member has 100% magic find and the other has 0% you have an average of 50% to find a magic item. This makes it best if all party members have around the same magic find to avoid reducing the percentage of magic items found.
- Before patch 2.0, each Paragon level used to increase Magic Find by 3% (up to 300% total).
- Magic Find % has a hard cap of +300% from all sources.
- Joining to a group multiplicatively boosts the Magic Find of all members by +10% of existing amount (minimum 10%) per player beyond the first.
- 20% (one fifth) of the Magic Find from follower's items is applied to player.
- As of patch 2.0, Magic Find can no longer roll on an item as a random affix. The only ways to increase this stat are pre-patch items, Fortune Shrine (+25%) or some legendary items that have either a guaranteed bonus (for example, Aughild's Peak set helmet for +11-12%) or set bonus (for example, Legacy of Nightmares set of two rings giving +15%).
- Bonus legendary find for each slide of Torment difficulty (approximately 1.15^N, N being the number of Torment N) stacks with Magic Find multiplicatively. While in Neplalem Rift, the chance is further boosted by additional 100% (also multiplicatively).