Natalya, Demon Hunter,
former Assassin of the Viz-Jaq'taar
|Appears in:||Diablo II|
|Portrayed by:||Carrie Gordon|
Natalya is a Demon Hunter, and formerly Assassin of the order of the Viz-Jaq'taar. She is the first appearance of the assassin character in Diablo II and offers advice cloaked in mysteries. She says that while she'd like to be out fighting the darkness with the heroes pursuing the Dark Wanderer, she must wait for new orders from her superiors. In the meantime, she is happy to provide any information she can.
These orders appear to have arrived at some point during the final battle with Mephisto, as Natalya was nowhere to be found when the heroes returned to the docks.
At some point after her appearance in Diablo II, she left the Viz-Jaq'taar and became a Demon Hunter.
- "Good day."
- "Good evening."
- "Greetings, hero. I've heard of your exploits and... I'm quite impressed. Very few mortals are capable of dealing with the Three and their minions as you have.
My name is Natalya. I am a hunter of Evil, part of an ancient Order sworn to hunt down corrupted Sorcerers.
If I could, I would gladly join your quest to stop the Three. But I must wait here for further news. I can't predict what will happen, but the danger is greater than we can know.
Until I receive my orders, I'll assist you with the information I have."
- "My Order has been keeping watch over Ormus for many years, now. He seems to champion the cause of good, but who knows what shadow lurks within his soul?"
- "Hratli is a master craftsman. My order could make use of one with his unique skills."
- "Asheara? Oh, she's a tough-talking mage, but I'd wager she's never faced true Evil.
Pampering drunken mercenaries is one thing, but standing face to face with a Hell-spawned Demon is another."
- "I've heard the name of Deckard Cain many times. He's the last of the Horadrim, and thus, I must honor him.
You must be powerful, indeed, if one such as he accompanies you."
- As Natalya plays only a minor role and serves no particular in-game function as an NPC, she is mostly believed to be nothing but a preview regarding one of the new classes in the Diablo II: Lord of Destruction expansion.
- Interestingly, she does not react to the player in any special way if they choose the Assassin class, even speaking to them as if they didn't know what an Assassin is. Rather than imply that she is not an assassin, this is probably a continuity error.
- Cain identifies her as a member of an Order called "Khral-Harzhek", while the Assassins are later known as the Viz-Jaq'taar. The new name is probably a retcon.
- Natalya is a Slavic name, a version of it being Natascha.
- Strangely, she disappears from the Docks after Mephisto is slain- this is the only instance in Diablo II of a townsperson disappearing, with the exception of Nihlathak (although his disappearance is explained).
- Natalya's Odium in Diablo II and Natalya's Wrath and Natalya's Solace in Diablo III are likely named after her.
|Diablo II NPCs|
|Act I — Akara • Charsi • Deckard Cain • Flavie - Gheed - Kashya - Warriv|