In the cinematic Enter Hell showing the Prime Evils opening a portal to Hell, Mephisto speaks as if he is reciting a Prophecy. This same Prophecy but with extended details is also heard by an unidentified male (Same Voice actor who plays Baal) in a Diablo II trailer here (also found on the main page).
- "And the evil that was once vanquished shall rise anew. Wrapped in the guise of man shall He walk amongst the innocent, and Terror shall consume they that dwell upon the Earth. The skies shall rain fire, and the seas will become as blood. The righteous shall fall before the wicked, and all of Creation shall tremble before the burning standards of Hell."
Unidentified Man: Edit
- "And the evil that was once vanquished shall rise anew. Wrapped in the ‘guise of man shall He walk amongst the innocent; and Terror shall consume thee who dwell upon the Earth. Behold! The war amongst the heavens shall not be contained; and the sons of man shall be engulfed in the flood of conflict, and all hope shall be lost unto them. And He shall make war upon the heavens, and the heavens shall gird themselves as for battle. The righteous shall fall upon the wicked... and lay siege to the very gates of Hell. And He shall take peace from mankind and loose great destruction upon the earth. The Lord of Hatred shall ascend his throne; and the fires of Hell shall devour all.
- And He shall mete out his vengeance upon all flesh. And the blood of innocents shall run as great torrents.
- ... Who then shall be saved? ..."
The Prophecy describes what happens in Diablo II. Terror (Diablo) was vanquished below Tristram, but will rise again. Disguising himself as a man (possessing the hero that 'defeated' him in Diablo), he will walk on the Earth spreading forth his Terror. The Great Conflict of the High Heavens and Burning Hells will once again come to Sanctuary (known as The Sin War), spreading demons and angels throughout. Mankind will be peaceful until Diablo comes and takes all the peace away by unleashing Destruction (Baal, who is trapped in a tomb under the sands of Aranoch). Hatred (Mephisto) will ascend his throne as he assumes control over the Zakarum and turns its followers into ruthless fanatics. Blood will run in torrents as the Prime Evils' war consumes the world of mortals.
The Black BookEdit
(See Lam Esen's Tome quest for more details)
A sage known as Lam Esen studied Skatsimi magic and the effects of the Prime Evils on the mortal world. He wrote the Black Book, which contains prophecies and secrets of the Old Religion of Skatsim, but it was lost when the Zakarum took over Kehjistan and banished all other religions believing them to be filled with blasphemous heresy, but in truth, the book helps to stop the Three and the corrupted Zakarum. It seems to contain a prophecy similar to the one described in the cinematic and the trailer.
- "The Black Book contains some vague prophecies regarding this undertaking. I'm not so sure it will turn out well for you."
- "Well, the good news is that events are unfolding just as Lam Esen foretold. The bad news is that the story ends in our utter ruin!"
Some clans also seem to have their own version of the Prophecy that foretells a time when the Three come to Sanctuary. Their prophecies come from their power and understanding given by their Gods, who are actually identified as the Nephalem in The Sin War novels.
- "The Amazon's oracles long ago predicted the Dark Exile, and they have been preparing to combat it ever since. Amazons regard the destruction of the Three Prime Evils as their destiny, ushering in a new era when mortal men and women can at long last take their rightful place in the universe, no longer merely playthings for the beings of the Outer Realms."
- "The Druids created a new culture and language, cutting themselves off from their Barbarian cousins and their ways, vowing not to return to the Steppes of Mt. Arreat until the time of the Uileloscadh Mór, the final battle between the men of the world and the demons of the Burning Hells."
- "For centuries the Sorceresses have studied in secret, perfecting their art and biding their time until the Emergence of Evil. Then, they will face their greatest challenge, either proving the purity of their magic or fading from existence."
The Barbarian Tribes also have their own version of the Prophecy, which they call The Prophecies of the Final Day.
- "And a child will cradle Terror in his breast as the heart of man falls under the shadow.
- A Wanderer will pass through the ancient lands trailing chaos in his wake.
- The Three Brothers will be reunited as the mortal world trembles before their might.
- And so it was foretold that the Three, once reunited, would be shattered again—
- And the last of them would set his sights on the holy mount. The warnings held that
- Their defeat would be illusory—that the final gambit had yet to be played..."
- "And now at last the storm surges forth from the southlands, and the hand of Destruction
- Reaches out to undo the workings of the Ancients. The tides of Hell surge—ready to smash
- Down upon the shores of the mortal world — to drown the guilty and the innocent alike."