Red Soul Shard is a Legendary Gem in Diablo III. It can only be socketed into helms, and is obtained by completing the Darkening of Tristram event in January of each year. It drops from Dark Lord (Diablo).
This gem periodically stuns the bearer for 1 second before releasing a volley of piercing fireballs in all directions, dealing high Fire damage to enemies caught in it. Upgrading increases the damage.
At rank 25, it also gives a significant (but short) reduction in resource costs and cooldowns after leveling up.
The gem can be used at any Character Level, not just 70.
Even though it's socketed into a Helm, it is unaffected by Leoric's Crown.
Red Soul Shard
- Periodically struggle for control, unleashing a ring of fire that deals 12500% damage as Fire to enemies it passes through.
- Upgrade: +50% damage as Fire per Rank.
- After gaining a Character Level or Paragon Level, the character has their resource costs and cooldowns of all skills reduced by 75% for 30 seconds. (Requires Rank 25)
This looks just like it was part of the infamous Red Soulstone. But that's impossible... It was destroyed long ago.
- The gem, when first socketed, will also unlock a unique Transmogrification choice for helms: Diablo's soulstone, after which the gem's modeled.
- It is the only Legendary Gem socketable into helms. With it, one can bring a total number of Legendary Gems equipped at once to 5 (with Gem of Ease as well).
- The icon of this gem is deliberately of very low resolution, similar to graphics of the Anniversary Dungeon signature style (it's not a defective picture).