In combat, he gains increased damage and retains all of his usual abilities, except he calls no Eternal Guardians:
- Teleporter affix: has reduced cooldown.
- Slow Time: identical to the Wizard spell, aside from slightly different graphics. Slows movement speed of players within a sphere by 80% and attack speed by 30%.
- Fireball: a medium-speed projectile that deals high area of effect Fire damage. Often used immediately after Slow Time.
- Energy Twister: creates an erratically-moving tornado of Arcane energy, dealing heavy damage as Arcane on contact. Contrary to popular belief, the twisters do not home on players. Unlike the regular boss fight, Sand Shaper's twisters do not disappear, and spawn at random distance from the boss.
- Cave-In: after 1.5 seconds, causes a rockfall across the wide area, causing heavy Physical damage. Sand Shaper summons Cave-In more often the more Life he loses.
Due to the mechanics of this boss fight, players need to kite him constantly, lest they will find themselves trapped in a storm of Energy Twisters.