Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
| Spike Trap|
Class: Demon Hunter
Required Level: 17
Skill Category: Devices
Cost: 15 Hatred
Cooldown: 10 seconds
Lay a trap that remains dormant until another Hatred spender is used to detonate the trap. When detonated, the trap and all other traps will explode in a chain reaction for 1160% damage as Physical to all enemies within 8 yards of each trap.
Damage Type: Physical
Other Stats: Maximum of 2 Spike Traps active at one time; Lasts 30 seconds; Charges (one charge gained every 10 seconds, up to 2 charges at a time)
Unlike defense-oriented Caltrops, Spike Traps are designed to deal direct damage. A trap is placed at the cursor location (as opposed to Caltrops placed at the Demon Hunter's location), but does not explode outright, even if an enemy is within its blast range. Instead, the next skill that costs Hatred (other than Spike Trap) will immediately detonate all traps.
Note that Spike Trap has quite a short blast radius.
It is one of the five skills in game (along with Dashing Strike, Sentry, Avalanche with Tectonic Rift rune and Furious Charge with Dreadnought rune) that uses Charge system, allowing multiple casts to be performed at once using accumulated charges. The charge replenishment time is reduced by cooldown reduction.
- Echoing Blast: increases the damage of each explosion to 2020%, Chills enemies hit for 3 seconds (slowing them by 60%), and turns the damage into Cold (unlocked at level 27).
- Custom Trigger: increases damage to 1900% and changes damage type to Fire. The traps will be detonated by Hatred generators instead of Hatred spenders (unlocked at level 30).
- Impaling Spines: increases damage to 1930%. When the trap is deployed (not detonated!), all enemies in its blast radius are immediately immobilized for 3 seconds (unlocked at level 39).
- Lightning Rod: damage type changes to Lightning, and blast radius increased to 10 yards. When the trap is triggered, it also releases a pulse of lightning that arcs to all other traps within 25 yards, hitting enemies caught in line. Each enemy hit will suffer 2020% damage as Lightning over 3 seconds (unlocked at level 46).
- Scatter: damage type changes to Fire; decreases damage of each trap to 960%, but simultaneously lays 2 traps per cast for a single charge, with a 30 degree scatter (they are placed right next one to another, but their blast areas do not intersect). Maximum allowed number of traps is also doubled. Hatred cost of the cast, cooldown and maximum number of charges do not change (unlocked at level 55).
- Chanon Bolter (Legendary Crossbow): periodically causes enemies to be lured into the Traps.
- Helltrapper (Legendary Hand Crossbow): chance on hit to summon a Spike Trap at the target's location.
- The Demon's Demise (Legendary Hand Crossbow): the blast from Spike Trap will damage all enemies it hits again after 1 second for same damage.
- Trag'Oul Coils (Legendary Bracers): Spike Traps gain the Impaling Spines rune in addition to any other, and are deployed twice as fast.
- Numbing Traps: affected enemies deal 25% less damage for 5 seconds.
- Custom Engineering: doubles the duration and increases maximum limit (and number of charges) of Spike Traps by 1.
- Just like Caltrops, an inactive Spike Trap will be lying dormant in a Coven ritual circle.
Originally, prior to 2.4.2, this trap would instead have a maximum of 3 at a time, and would detonate upon enemy approach (with a 1.5 seconds arming time), exploding up to 3 times.