The Summon Zombie Dog ability (also called Mongrels), enables the Witch Doctor to summon 3 zombie dogs (4 with Zombie Handler passive ability), which attack the target like the Diablo II Druid's wolves. It has been revealed that this is one of the weakest of the Witch Doctor's summoning skills, but still very versatile even for late-game use. Using the passive skills Zombie Handler (summon 4 Zombie Dogs, Zombie Dogs and Gargantuan get +20% health) and Jungle Fortitude (reduces damage taken by you and your pets by 20%), along with Zombie Dogs and Gargantuan is a common "Zombie Handler" build.
While they are still alive, the Witch Doctor can detonate the zombie dogs using the Sacrifice skill, almost reminiscent of the popular Diablo II, Necromancer spell, Corpse Explosion, dealing substantial damage to nearby targets, almost wiping entire groups of enemies in a single blast.
Originally, Zombie dogs could be enchanted with poison or fire bonus damage, if the Witch Doctor used his attack skills, Locust Swarm and Skull of Flame respectively on them. Enchanting them would not harm the dogs, but grant them the appropriate elemental power. However, Bashiok revealed in later posts that this effect was removed, although it may be replaced with a similar rune.
| Summon Zombie Dogs|
Summon a small group of Zombie Dogs from the depths to fight at your side. Each hit that a Zombie Dog lands deals damage equal to
9%of your weapon damage, Physical attribute.
The effects bestowed by the runes are:
- Rabid Dogs: Each hit a Zombie Dog lands afflicts the unfortunate entity with a DoT inflicting3%weapon damage as Poison per second, for3seconds
- Final Gift: There is a15%chance to spawn a Health Globe for a Zombie Dog's death.
- Life Link: Your Zombie Dogs link their life essence to yours, offering you+10%damage reduction, at a cost of damaging their Life equal to the damage you shrug off.
- Burning Dogs: Summoned Zombie Dogs inflict Fire damage on nearby enemies equal to2%of your weapon damage per second.
- Leeching Beasts: Each hit a Zombie Dog lands heals you and the Zombie Dog for25%of the damage dealt.
†- The Mana cost scales up as the Witch Doctor increases in power through normal levels. Paragon levels do not increase the cost further. The cost listed is for that of a lv. 60 Witch Doctor
|Witch Doctor Skills|
| Active Skills—Poison Dart • Grasp of the Dead • Corpse Spiders • Summon Zombie Dogs • Firebats • Horrify • Soul Harvest • Plague of Toads • Haunt • Sacrifice • Zombie Charger • Spirit Walk • Spirit Barrage • Gargantuan • Locust Swarm • Firebomb • Hex • Acid Cloud • Mass Confusion • Big Bad Voodoo • Wall of Zombies • Fetish Army|
Passive Skills—Jungle Fortitude • Circle of Life • Spiritual Attunement • Gruesome Feast • Blood Ritual • Bad Medicine • Zombie Handler • Pierce the Veil • Spirit Vessel • Fetish Sychophants • Rush of Essence • Vision Quest • Fierce Loyalty • Grave Injustice • Tribal Rites