|Weapon||+75 Poison Damage Over 5 Seconds|
|Body armor or helm||Poison Resist 30%|
|Shield||Poison Resist 35%|
Socketing an item with a Tal rune increases the item's level requirement to 17, unless it was already higher.
The Countess's extra rune drops on any difficulty can include Tal runes.
The Hellforge on normal difficulty has a 1 in 11 chance to drop a Tal rune as part of its quest reward.
The Act 3 Good treasure class has a chance to drop a Tal rune, as do higher Good treasure classes.
Tal runes are used in seven rune words.
- Ancient's Pledge 'RalOrtTal' off-hand armor
- Edge 'TirTalAmn' missile weapon (ladder only)
- Holy Thunder 'EthRalOrtTal' scepter
- Insight 'RalTirTalSol' polearm or staff (ladder only)
- Spirit 'TalThulOrtAmn' sword or off-hand armor (ladder only)
- Stealth 'TalEth' body armor
- Venom 'TalDolMal' weapon
Tal runes are used in eight Horadric Cube recipes.
- Transmute three Tal runes to create one Ral rune.
- Transmute a magic heavy belt or exceptional/elite version (battle belt or troll belt), a jewel, a Tal rune, and a perfect sapphire to create a crafted Hit Power belt.
- Transmute a magic belt or exceptional/elite version (mesh belt or mithril coil), a jewel, a Tal rune, and a perfect ruby to create a crafted Blood belt.
- Transmute magic light plate or exceptional/elite version (mage plate or archon plate), a jewel, a Tal rune, and a perfect amethyst to create crafted Caster body armor.
- Transmute a magic sash or exceptional/elite version (demonhide sash or spiderweb sash), a jewel, a Tal rune, and a perfect emerald to create a crafted Safety belt.
- Transmute normal quality unsocketed body armor, a Tal rune, a Thul rune, and a perfect topaz to add a random number of sockets to the body armor.
- Transmute a normal quality unsocketed shield, a Tal rune, an Amn rune, and a perfect ruby to add a random number of sockets to the shield.
- Transmute basic unique armor, a Tal rune, a Shael rune, and a perfect diamond to upgrade the unique armor's base armor type to its exceptional version.