"The guardian shall ever maintain his eternal watch over those who serve and protect the balance."
|Affiliation||Priests of Rathma|
|Occupation||Guardian of Sanctuary|
|Appearances|| Diablo II (mentioned only)|
Diablo III (mentioned only)
Scales of the Serpent
The Veiled Prophet
Book of Cain
Trag'Oul is an ancient and mysterious dragon-like being who guards Sanctuary and maintains the Balance between the High Heavens and the Burning Hells, intent on keeping Sanctuary free from angelic and demonic influences.
Trag'Oul entered Sanctuary for the first time just after the Purge by Lilith, and Inarius's subsequent reactions. The dragon materialized for just a few seconds, long enough to lay the groundwork for Rathma's discovery of him. From Trag'Oul, Rathma learnt of the Balance, the Worldstone, and how Sanctuary was created.
The Sin WarEdit
"This goes beyond Sanctuary now. Beyond all of us who stand sentinel."
"How so? How can that be?"
"Because the war is coming to Sanctuary, and if you interfere with what the Balance demands, it and all existence may be forfeit."
— The guardians and Trag'Oul in conversation(src)
Trag'Oul tutored Mendeln during the Sin War. After learning of a pact between Inarius and Diablo, he tried to intervene, but was stopped by his fellow guardians that kept guard over worlds of their own. They warned him that inferference would risk all Creation. Fortunately, the Sin War ended, and Sanctuary was spared destruction.
Personality and TraitsEdit
The Books of Kalan describe Trag'Oul as a celestial dragon whose body resembles a constellation of stars. In each of these stars, a different part of life is shown—past, present, and future choices to be made, so one cannot see a definite future. The Priests of Rathma believe that it is on Trag'Oul's back that the world lies, and is the closest thing the cult has to a deity. It is from Trag'Oul that Necromancers draw their power. It has also been suggested that he is a manifestation of the past, present, and future of humanity.
- Trag'Oul has undergone a spelling revision in Diablo lore. He was called Trang-Oul in Diablo II as in the set Trang-Oul's Avatar, and revised as Trag'oul in the Sin War novels. Since the novels are canon as of Diablo III, and as they were released after Diablo II, Trag'Oul is treated as the canon spelling.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 The Veiled Prophet
- ↑ Scales of the Serpent
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 2011-10-22, Diablo III Lore Panel Coverage. Diablo IncGamers, accessed on 2014-03-14
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 2013-12-08, BlizzCon 2013 – Diablo III Lore and Story Q&A Panel Transcript. Blizzplanet, accessed on 2014-03-14
- ↑ 2011, BlizzCon: Diablo III Lore. Gosu Gamers, accessed on 2014-03-14
- ↑ Book of Cain
- ↑ Poison and Bone Skills, Arreat Summit. Accessed on 2014-03-14