I've been playing along with several characters, and I think that although retirement may be not too far away, I'm still finding these builds challenging. Without further ado, though, I'll post what I have as work-in-progress. Keep in mind that I only trade for runes to upgrade exceptional armor and weapons to their Elite versions.
Level 75 Paladin: FoH, PvM.
Yes, I know. The FoH paladin is a PvP build. I figured I'd horse around with one because I've done another Conviction build before. He's a decent caster, but last night I needed my Summoner Necromancer to eek him past Duriel. He'd completely own my Act 2 Hireling with a Bonehew, Duriel's Shell and Naj's circlet, and me running around with resistances all in the red, it didn't end well.
On the whole, he's decent, albeit nothing compared to the hammerdin. A challenge, to be sure, but not impossible. I'd have needed a better strategy against Duriel, namely a bit more crushing blow and some open wounds. I think that having a Duress on either my merc or myself and smiting him for a fair bit would have worked out. Boosted resistances would have been key as well.
- Helmet: Rare with a Frost Nova proc and Memory attributes.
- Amulet: +30% all res blue amulet or a +3 to combat skills. I also have a +3 offensive auras which I may use.
- Body Armor:I admit it! This is the one thing I could have easily changed. A 4ptopaz Full plate armor. I should have made a Smoke pr Treachery armor for my encounter.
- Belt: Goldwrap. I also have a Gloom's Trap, but I think the Bladebuckle would have been handy against Duriel.
- Gloves: Chance guards, although I have Frostburns and Magefists as well.
- Ring: 25% magic find. I should pick something else.
- Ring: a 10%FCR +23 cold res +24 cold res rare ring.
- Boots: rare "walkers" 10%FHR, 25% Heal Stamina and some minor lightning and poison res. also 24% magic find. I had a pair of unidentified goblin toes sitting in my stash. I should have put them to use.
- Weapon: Spectral Shard. 50%FCR, +10% all resistances and +50 Mana
- Shield: Wall of the Eyeless 20% FCR and some mana-related bonuses.
- Weapon: Knell Striker 25% crushing blow, 20% Fire and poison resistances.
- Shield: Lance Guard. 30%FHR, +50 life and 15% damage goes to mana.
Hireling: Act 2 "Holy Freeze"
- Weapon: Bonehew.
- Armor: Duriel's Shell
- Helm: Naj's Circlet
Level 71Paladin: Emodin
Okay, this is a build I'm going to have to write up sometime. The tactics for the Emodin are pretty much the same as they are for the Avenger, but with a different skills set. Take Sacrifice and build it and its synergies to 20. Put 1 point each skill of the Holy Shield branch. Grab a reasonably fast high damage beating stick and beat everything senseless. Again, the hammerdin may crank out higher damage, but I can't say that I'm displeased with the result.
- Helmet: Tal Rasha's Horadric Crest.
- Amulet: A rare amulet that has a base +20% to all resistances and then stacks another 33% in lightning.
- Body Armor:I have Iron Pelt at the moment, but I also have a Shaftstop. It seems at the moment, Integer damage reduction works better than the % reduction.
- Belt: Wilhel,'s Pride. 5% dual leech and just waiting for the helm to drop sometime.
- Gloves: Magnus' Skin. Nothing great, but when complete the Orphan's Call set is excellent.
- Ring: Dwarf Star.
- Ring: Raven Frost
- Boots: I have a choice of Goblin Toes (which I think I'll move to my assassin after I upgrade them) and Gore Riders. I admit I'm a challenge junkie, but I'm not THAT much of a challenge junkie.
- Weapon: Upgraded Butcher's Pupil. When in doubt, cheap, one handed, fast and kicks out nice damage.
- Shield: Tiamat's Rebuke. A fun shield because of the procs and elemental damage, but also useful because of the resistance bonus.
- Weapon: Crushflange. 33% crushing blow to cut the initial chunks out of bosses.
- Shield: Whitstan's Guard. Excellent blocking bonuses, but also because I'm looking to collect Guillaume's Face.
Hireling: Act 5
- Weapon: Lawbringer Legend sword
- Armor: Ethereal Hawkmail. Upgraded. I may trade some gems for making it elite.
- Helm: Wormskull
And for now, I'm going to break it into two parts because I have a few more characters that I've been playing on and off.