- A Wizard(src)
The Wizard was the third Diablo III character class revealed.
Magic-users hail from academies throughout Sanctuary – from Xiansai to Caldeum – bearing monikers like "sorcerer" and "mage," but those who refer to themselves with the derogatory epithet "wizard" are as similar to their fellow spellcasters as a lion is to a kitten. Wizards and sorcerers both wield the hidden mysteries of the arcane; there, the commonalities end.
Renegade spellcasters, wizards are known for a number of qualities: not only rebelliousness and flair, but also disdain for the endless lessons and prattling about caution and safety that echo from academic schools of magic. Wizards’ superior attitudes seem to stem from their natural talent – their ability to wrestle the ambient force of magic into submission and direct it to their ends by will and instinct. Any accidents that might occur due to their lack of finesse are unfortunate…but that rarely stops wizards from indulging in their unstable magic power.
If they can only master their double-edged gift and avoid destroying themselves, these upstart arcane prodigies may be able to finally reach the destiny that they see on the horizon.
Wizards use their bodies as vessels for arcane energy, forsaking the more careful path favored by other magic users. Because of this use, wizards rarely find themselves without the power of magic. They can nearly always afford to cast their weaker spells thanks to their swiftly-regenerating arcane power, and they invoke certain powers more easily as their experience grows. They are only in danger of depleting their stores of energy when attempting a number of invocations at once. However, Arcane Power can ravage wizards’ bodies if its use is not carefully paced.
Wizards manipulate all manner of forces to disintegrate, burn, and freeze their foes, claiming dominion over Sanctuary's natural elements, and they can control time and light to teleport, create powerful illusions, and deflect oncoming attacks. Wizards grip wands and staves to focus their less potent magics, blasting at their enemies while gathering the energy or time necessary to destroy them in a dazzling hail of arcane might. Though all material items serve as channels for a wizard’s immense power, orbs have special uses, in that they provide them with visions and knowledge to aid their spellcasting, or serve as reservoirs of power.
With few exceptions, wizard attacks are conducted at a distance, away from danger. As living artillery, wizards are well suited to relying on long-range destructive power. Though not as physically agile or strong as some other heroes, wizards cloak themselves in defensive magics. They can encase their skin in diamonds, create mirror images to befuddle their enemies, and harm or slow those foolish enough to strike at them directly.
Wizards have three class-specific item types: Wands, Sources and Wizard Hats. They rely on Intelligence as their primary core stat, and use Arcane Power as a resource. Important Wizard attributes: Intelligence, all resistances, reduced cooldowns, bonus elemental damage for skills, critical hit / critical damage, Arcane Power on critical hit, Area Damage.
Wizards have four class sets in game:
- Chantodo's Resolve (60 minor weapon set, 2 items)
- Tal Rasha's Elements (60 full set, 5 items)
- Firebird's Finery (70 defensive full set, 7 items)
- Vyr's Amazing Arcana (70 offensive full set, 4 items)
Wizards do not have internal healing abilities, but can conjure shields of force or encase themselves in diamonds to absorb damage. They also have a very limited ability to enhance their allies, but some of their attacks make enemies more vulnerable to damage, benefitting all members of the group. Almost all Wizard skills are oriented at maximum damage output; even defensive skills may be turned into damage boosters. In a group, Wizards rely heavily on other classes for protection, but when uninterrupted by enemies' counterattacks, can devastate large areas in a blink of an eye.
Many Cold, Fire and Lightning damaging skills are variants or remakes of those of the Sorceress class: barrages of molten fire, deadly storms and freezing icefalls. Hydra, Blizzard, Teleport, Meteor, Frozen Orb and many other skills make their return. The Arcane skill branch is entirely new, focusing on Arcane damage, illusions, uncontrolled energy and temporal manipulations. Only these four damage types are used by Wizards, which makes them highly favor the gear that can increase damage done by specific damage types. Moreover, Wizards are the only class to use the Arcane damage for their skills. The pinnacle of the Wizard's mastery over the arcane energy are their Archon form of the star-aligned energy, and cosmic Black Holes.
Most, if not all of the Wizards' skills can hit more than one enemy at once, making Wizards lethal for hordes of lesser enemies. Many of their skills also become more potent as they are continuously cast against the same target, and many are channeled: while sustained, they grow in power, compensating for the danger of standing in one place. In return, Wizards' Crowd Control capabilities are tied closely to elemental damage: Stun effects for Lightning skills, Chill or Freeze for Cold, and Slow for Arcane.
Popular Wizard Skill combinations include:
- Orbiter (Frozen Orb + Cold Blooded + Absolute Zero + stacking Cold Skills deal X% more damage)
- Hydromancer (Hydra + Serpent's Sparker)
- Mad Runner (Mammoth Hydra + Apocalypse + Blazar + Teleport + Illusionist)
- Snowpiercer (Ray of Frost + Light of Grace)
- Maximum Archon (Archon + Energy Armor + Sparkflint + Magic Weapon + Glass Cannon + Evocation + Vyr's Amazing Arcana + stacking Arcane Skills deal X% more damage + stacking Reduced Cooldowns for Skills)
- Phoenix of Death (Combustion + Sparkflint + Magic Weapon + Glass Cannon + stacking Fire Skills deal X% more damage + Magefist + Cindercoat or Firebird's Finery)
- Stand Your Ground (Unwavering Will + Audacity + Elemental Exposure)
- Endless Tide (Prodigy + Surge of Power + stacking Arcane Power on Crit)
- Bomberman / Bomberlady (Molten Impact + Conflagration + Tal Rasha's Elements + stacking Fire Skills deal X% more damage + stacking Arcane Power on Crit)
- Chainpocalypse (Chain Reaction + Wand of Woh + cooldown reduction + stacking Fire Skills deal X% more damage)
- Blazer Disco (Conflagrate + Mirrorball)
| Primary Skills |
Magic Missile • Shock Pulse • Spectral Blade • Electrocute
During the Blizzcon 2010, Blizzard stated that the meteor skill of Sorceress would return as a Wizard skill.
- The female Wizard is voiced by Grey DeLisle, while the male Wizard is voiced by Crispin Freeman.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Wizard, Blizzard Entertainment. Accessed on 2014-01-18
- ↑ 2013-12-05, BlizzCon 2013 – Diablo III: Gameplay Systems + Crusader Panel Transcript. Blizzplanet, accessed on 2014-02-24
- ↑ 2014, Most Popular Wizard Builds The top Diablo III Wizard builds and skills at level 70 in Reaper of Souls. Diablo Somepage, accessed on 2014-06-25